Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gumstretch

Yep, first part of the title is gum...I'm sure you are familiar with it. I've tried carefully to avoid it as a mother of three, but it caught up with me just yesterday.

As a rule we are not a gum-chewing family. My husband thinks it's rude (when certain people do it), I get frustrated because the taste runs out and after three hours I'm still wondering why it's in my mouth. The kids of course love it, so we made up gumball Saturdays (going on three years now) and the rule is that if you take it out, you throw it out. It is a big deal for them because they don't get gum at any other time (I know we are so mean!). And, if ever we are not home on a Saturday they are quick to remember that as soon as we do get home, they get a gumball.

So yesterday I had one of my very best friends over for a playdate. We have seven children between us and it was just a fun day...definitely one for the books. The subject of gumballs came up, probably because we have a large gumball dispensing machine (which doesn't work because I bought the wrong size gumballs and we now have to use a gumball basket), that attracts the eye of every child who comes over. So they inevitably asked their mom if they could have one. I can't say the 'N' word to other children, so we moms agreed to let them have this little delight, which is every child's rite of passage (they will say when their all grown). Which means my children get to have not only a Saturday gumball, but one on playdate day as well.

Four hours later, maybe it was three, we are rushing to get somewhere as is usually the case. I'm sure you can relate. Anyway, I'm just filled with happiness, driving down I-5 on a beautiful day and my daughter (I won't mention names, but those of you who know us will catch on quick), says, "Mom, I still have my gumball!!" I just said, "uh-uh" and didn't think much of it until I look back a few minutes later to see that she had taken it out to save it for later so she could eat her gogurt. Unfortunately, she stuck it on her bare thigh, and with her window rolled down, wind in her hair, berry gogurt quenching a long hot day, she crossed her legs! That's right she crossed them and when she took them apart it was a spider-web of gumstretch. She, not being skilled at how to get gum off of anything because of our gum rules, kept stretching it piece by piece. Those of us who are more seasoned at these things can imagine me calling out instructions, "don't stretch, pull low, pull low!" and "don't get it on the car or your clothes!"

All ended well as I threw back a wipe (those things are amazing) and we got to where we were going, she got the gum off of herself, and car and clothes were spared.

I sometimes feel like I can't get free from things. It could be an obligation, a chore, a season of waiting (like now) or a phase of some kind. The gumstretch reminded me of that feeling. Send me a comment on how you got free from something, or if you are currently stuck in the middle of a gumstretch season, maybe we can help each other!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I tried to post a minute ago and it came up as my mother...I don't know what my computer is doing...so the removed post, but it left her name...Anyway we had a rule that the kids couldn't have gum until they were married. I had visions of giving my kids a case of their favorite gum on their wedding day. We have since relinquished that requirement(but only a couple years ago) David is with Kirk, it is a rude habit on alot of people and he doesn't like it when people "snap" it (which is my problem...seem to do it without thinking)...well back to the blog...it is beautiful and I am looking forward to reading it often...you always have such good advice and insight. I love you my friend and love how our friendship has grown over the years...I couldn't have picked anyone more special to share a birthday with :)
    Enjoy the weather, while you can.
    Love ya,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi tammy
    too funny!!! i love it!
    we had fun yesterday~~sorry i forgot about the gum rule:) love, karla

    ReplyDelete