Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Moonstruck

Found something interesting to share. At least I thought it was interesting...you may as well.

The intro blog stated that topics will be wide-ranging, and so we move from "gumstretch" to "moonstruck"...oh life inside the chrysalis!

In the ancient world, many believed that not only could one get heat stroke travelling by foot, but that you could also be struck by the moon! The other day, my daughter was looking at our calendar and noted when the next full moon would occur, so when I came upon this notion today I found it curious and can't wait to tell her when she wakes up.

Anyway, they believed that if someone had seizures it was caused by intense moon exposure. The word "moonstruck" is a literal translation of the Greek word for "seizures." This is the part that I thought was the most interesting...the word "lunatic" comes from the word "lunar" or moon. So all those childhood myths about the crazy things that happen during a full moon, have come full circle. Can you imagine actually being struck by the moon? It isn't something I ever really thought about...I know Cher has a movie by that name. And lunatic...well I'm not gonna go there so early in the morning!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment