Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Peeling Back Stereotypes

I just read an interesting article about a homeless woman, Brianna Karp. She found herself jobless and homeless, living in a Walmart parking lot and blogging about her experience. Her story landed her as a guest writer on Elle.com.

Her story got me thinking about Stereotypes. Brianna's story is about the new face of homelessness. It really shifted my thinking about what a homeless person is supposed to look like. Why can't they have cell phones, laptops and Starbucks lattes? The economy changed, but my stereotype for homeless people didn't. It's funny how I know nothing about homelessness, but I have a complete picture of it in my mind, replete with black-marked cardboard signs.

I'm sure I do this with many other things in life. I'm hoping to grow a little bit today, and not only peel back the layers of the stereotypes I hold, but completely smash them like a clove of garlic with the back of my knife, only adding bits and pieces to flavor my relationships, one conversation at a time.

BTW, if you would like to read her first blog as a guest writer on Elle.com, click on the title of this blog to be redirected...just come back and visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment