Thursday, January 7, 2010

Inspiration in a Pile o' Dirt

I was at Ravenna Gardens the other day marveling at the garden decor and beautiful green foliage. I almost hesitated to walk in knowing how inspired and excited I can get about spring, yet it's so far away and I don't want to miss the pleasures of winter...hot soup, flickering candles, fuzzy socks...but, alas, I walked inside.

Walking past this display of seed packets I couldn't help but take a snapshot of the seeds organized in their little rows. My imagination conjures up bright sun, blue sky and all that these tiny seeds will become...parsley, lavendar, rosemary, thyme, lettuce...oh the joys of gardening!

There is a very large dirt pile in my backyard and I can't wait to hear the sound of a garden shovel as it pummels into the side of it. I can smell the earthy odor and see the moist, crumbling soil trickling down upon my shovel. I can feel the grit underneath my fingernails and see my soil stained fingers. I can feel the sun beating down on my shoulders and the slightly damp grass soaking through to my knees as I bend down to plant a tiny seed.

For now though, it's soup and candles and I will have to cling to that for another few months...but the dirt is calling...I may have to bring some inside?? Indoor tulips, hyacinth and daffodils...yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment