Sunday, August 16, 2009

What Can I Bring?

No. This post is not about requesting your advice on what to bring to a baby shower, potluck or picnic. I'm feeling a little short, a little lost, a little...melancholy. I find myself asking, "What can I bring to God, Family, Community?"

Have you ever been overwhelmed by a questioning in your heart, that seemed to come out of nowhere? I have that feeling tonight...how long has it been stirring around in there?

All was well in my universe today...and then I went to see the movie "Julie and Julia." On my way home tonight I was bombarded with feelings of inadequacy, lack of courage and wonder about what I'm doing with my life. How does a sweet movie unleash this kind of backlash, you ask? I assure you, it is me, not the movie.

"Julie and Julia" is a delightful movie if you are an amateur foodie and are familiar with Julia Child and blogging in America. I just loved it and will own it when it comes out on DVD. I was impressed with the theme of "following-through" and courage in the face of rejection or set-back.

So why am I feeling blue? I'm not sure, exactly.

I feel like I do a lot, but I don't do anything especially well. There. That's it. My follow-through is terrible on many things and I lack courage in the face of rejection.

Now what's the remedy?

I really don't know, but I do know my tummy is full from the creamy bacon quiche I made from Julia's cookbook this morning (I've had my own copy of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking for four years now), and I'm a little tired. Maybe things will look better in the morning (perspective, not thighs)?

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever read/listen to Dr. Wayne Dyer? I have a couple of his books and a set of DVD's which I usually keep in the car and pop in from time to time. I admit it's been at least 2 years since I last listened, but your post reminded me of something he said. I'm sure I'm not quoting it and I may have even twisted it's meaning a little, but I think the heart of it is the same. His idea is that when we have a goal that we want to accomplish that we should hold it close and keep it to ourselves. He said many things after that I've forgotten, but the gist is that when we share these things with other people then our reasons for doing them change. Instead of achieving that goal for yourself, you then feel obligated to achieve that goal for other people because you don't want to say you're going to do something and then not. It becomes about ego (not wanting to look bad) instead of about the goal itself. It's hard though, right? How do you not share something you are excited about? But the theory is interesting enough. I've yet to put it to the test myself :)

    As for fear in the face of rejection ... well, it is a rare kind of person that can claim that. Not many of us are which is why it's so touching to see in someone. Don't be too hard on yourself if you aren't!

    ReplyDelete