Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An Amateur Foodie

For some people, food is necessary for filling one's stomach, thus achieving a "full" feeling that keeps them going until the next grumbling on the "empty" radar. For me, food is a pastime, a hobbie, an event even. I love learning about food, what other people think about certain food, reading books about food, preparing food, growing food, sharing food, and of course, eating food.

According to Wikipedia, foodies are "amateurs who simply love food consumption, study, preparation and news." Gourmets are "epicures of refined taste." This is not me. I have to ask my husband what my soup is missing. I seem to know it's lacking, but in what I couldn't say, (oh the parallels I could go into). I just know what I like, and hope my family likes it too.

Like most of us, my food memories stretch back into childhood. My mother made coffee cake on Saturday mornings and Friday nights were reserved for dinners out. I had lobster for the first time when I was really young...poor future dates...oh wait, I married my highschool sweetheart and he's frugal-nevermind.

For the past couple of summers I've read a food book or two. Michael Pollan puts out some great food reads, The Omnivores Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I have a couple of books about France and food is intertwined. So, as I was shopping yesterday (for food), a book captured my attention. A Homemade Life is a book about food and memories. Molly Wizenberg writes so well and delivers a recipe in each chapter. I'm on chapter three and can't wait to try some of her amazing dishes and share them with friends and family. She also has a blog and you can link to it from this page on the left.

With seeds going in the ground and summer bbq season upon us, my mind is ready for heirloom tomato salad, crisp asparagus, bbq steak with gorgonzola cheese melted on top and flourless chocolate dessert with red wine reduction.

If you are a foodie and have a favorite recipe using green beans, I want to hear from you since my favorite way to prepare them is out of the can...no gourmets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment