Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chrysalis Defined


A few weeks ago, I was telling my Father-in-Law about my blog and how it would be great for him to blog so he could connect with other screenwriters. When I told him the name of my blog, he put his hands up and gave a waggle gesture and said, "ooh, sounds like crystals and new age." Ha! What a strange impression, so I felt the need to explain to anybody else out there who isn't clear on what a chrysalis is.

When my little ones were really little, I purchased Eric Carlisle's book, The Hungry Caterpillar. I'm not sure if it mentions the chrysalis exactly, but it was a catalyst to spur me on to learn more about it. I found the transformation process fascinating. Then, we went to the zoo a couple of years ago and went through the butterfly exhibit. They actually have the chrysalis display for all to see, and they are beautiful little hard shells containing all the elements to produce a beautiful butterfly.

As the caterpillar approaches the metamorphosis stage, it actually spins a silk pad and pulls it over itself. What happens then is that this becomes a hard shell and the process of transformation begins. All the cells break down and begin to rebuild into a totally different creation. Those in science say that the caterpillar and resulting butterfly are as different as a field mouse and a hummingbird.

I feel as though I'm inside the chrysalis. The world around me is a treasure trove of wonderful, interesting and exciting things to learn and experience. And all of this knowledge is being used to rebuild parts of me that are lacking, or encouraging parts of me that are growing. I'm the only one living this life, and I don't want to waste this gift. I do though, sometimes. I take people and things for granted, I don't do what I should do and often do what I should not do. But one day I'll be able to emerge in the glorious light of heaven, shake off the dew of living inside the chrysalis and flap my iridescent wings with a feeling of freedom! Mercy me until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment