Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Passion

I love watching people who are passionate about what they do. It makes me want to become more bold and intense about the passions in my life. The training and dedication it takes to be passionate is something many of us ignore, hoping to do a little here and a little there to reach a status-quo outcome. I would like to learn how to become more diligent in pursuing the passions in my life.

Recently on Orcas Island, my friends and I had the pleasure of listening to a violin duo play amazing music, at sunset during dinner. These young people were very talented and able to play at length for the hungry patrons. I was surprised that they played Hungarian Dances No. 5 by Brahms. This is one of my favorite pieces because it is varied between a loud crescendo and quiet adagio sounds. Just when you might be impressed with my musical knowledge, let me clarify that I know about this particular piece from watching Disney's Little Einsteins. There you go. Listen here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKHQ36NOxzk

As I watched them, I saw the most amazing thing. They both had bruises from the violin on the side of their sweet faces. Now that is passion...not caring about the bruises it takes to do what you love. I'd never seen these violin "kisses" before and thought it was the neatest thing I'd seen so far on the island.

It made me remember times I've watched the lead singer of Coldplay, Chris Martin, and wonder what it would be like to see him in person. The way he plays the piano using his entire body, makes me appreciate his talent and passion even more. Take a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ful-M_MbL4

Of course, I tend to do many things at once, and none of it very well. I'll get excited about learning French or cooking difficult recipes, but soon the excitement falls away and becomes more of a longing, than a completion. So to see people living out even one of their passions in life, is very inspiring to me.

What is your passion? How do you go about it? I'm not sure what my passion is, but this weekend inspired me to hone in on one thing, and put myself into that until my body is marked by it in some way...bruises and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment